I bought a new bed and decided to throw out my old sofa (that was almost new but seriously killed my neck and back, so screw that) and make my old bed into a new sofa. Not completely logical, but I’m so happy with the result and this DIY is definitely one of my favorites of all time.
So, what do you need to re-upholster a single bed?
- A shitload of fabric (just over 8 meters in my case).
- Strong arms (I have super weak arms but a strong will, and that works too).
- A damn good staple gun.
- Thread and needles. And preferably a thimble – your fingers will thank you.
I found this cheap mustard/gold/greenish fabric at a sale and decided it was super-beautiful mostly because it cost almost nothing. I had some doubts about the color in the beginning, but it really turned out great in the end.
So this is what I had to work with.
I was quite pleased to find out that the fabric I bought was wide enough to actually cover the entire mattress.
I stapled it on.
I bought some new legs for the bed to make it lower and give it that bohemian feel that I wanted.
I made some large pillows covered with the same fabric for the backrest.
I recently inherited this antique chest, and I am now using it as a coffee table.
The lid of the chest features a cool looking star design and I decided to try and mimic the style on my coasters.
At first I had the intention of making some of those rolled magazine strips coasters that have been floating around on DIY blogs for some time. Then I decided that I was waay too lazy to even start cutting the strips required to make them and figured, why not just glue a bunch of pages together with paper glue and then cut out round shapes and make coasters out of that? Yeah, seemed simple enough – and it was.
I let the coasters dry a bit before I slapped on some paint. I went with a grey background for the black stars.
Fun fact: Painting uneven stars is much harder than painting straight ones.
To seal the coasters and make them water proof, I put a few coats of varnish on top of the paint.
I cut out and glued on some black leather for the coasters backs.
I think they turned out pretty good!
I’ve seen this DIY on other blogs and sites and decided to give it a go.
Other tutorials have used styrofoam cones to get the tree shape, but those cones are damn expensive where I live and I really didn’t want this DIY to cost anything. Maybe you already guessed it, but all scraps are my thing…
I used an assortment of green scrap yarn, a magazine, tape and a plastic bag to make my cone, needles to wrap the yarn around, glue, a plastic container to mix the water and glue solution and some plastic hearts to decorate my tree with.
I made the cone using the magazine.
When I finally had a cone shape I was happy with, I filled up the cone with the paper that was left of the magazine. Not sure if the cone would’ve hold up otherwise. I covered the entire thing with plastic from a plastic bag and made sure everything was secured.
I put the needles evenly around the cone.
I cut strings from the yarn and soaked them in the water and glue mix. I used left-over glue for this, every type of craft glue should work.
I wrapped the wet strings around the tree. This took a while and got quite messy, but it was also a lot of fun!
I ran out of yarn right when I was beginning to feel that my tree was done. I went over it a couple of times with the glue mix and a paint brush just to make sure it would harden evenly and hold up once I removed the cone.
After I let it dry overnight I removed the cone. I decided to cut off some of the yarn from the bottom to adjust the tree (It had a Leaning Tower of Pisa feel to it, lol) and to make it look nice. I added the heart decorations with my glue gun and my tree was finished! Yay!
This is a DIY lantern I made using a ceramic tea light holder, broken mirror glass, black grout and super glue.
I’d say the weirdest part of this DIY was to smash the glass. I used an old mirror with thin glass and smashed it in a plastic bag with a hammer against concrete flooring. The glass shards get super sharp and you’ll have to pick out the larger ones from millions of smaller bits, so be very careful If you decide to try this!
When I finally had a satisfying amount of glass pieces I glued them onto this ceramic tea light holder that I bought at a thrift store. I used super glue for this.
I let the glue dry for a couple of days before adding the black grout. I used regular black tile grout and mixed it with water in a small plastic bowl. I find that the grout sticks the best when the mass is smooth, just on the verge of being runny.
I’ve been making lanterns using grout before (check out my beach glass lantern and my seed beads lanterns) and have learnt that you get the best result if you are generous with the grout when you spread it out over the surface.
I let the grout dry for about 20 minutes, and then I started to smooth it out with a wet kitchen sponge. Adding water to the surface helps the grout harden and cleans off the mirror glass.
After this step I let the grout dry for about a day.
I then added the outer layer of grout. This was a bit harder to get on, I had to repeat the following steps a couple of times to cover the entire surface.
I looked really cool once finished though!