I can not believe that I managed to finish this jacket AND make it look good! It is not perfect, but I have to say that this is probably the best thing I have ever made.
My inspiration when making this jacket came from all directions at once. I knew I wanted a shorter wool jacket, with shorter sleeves – like something you would find in the 50’s and 60’s. I also wanted it to be slightly oversized. And I also knew I wanted to incorporate some history into the mix. My favorite period for historical clothing is definitely around the year 1700. I love the military uniforms they wore – so badass! Kinda feels like you would have to be extremely lame in order to NOT look cool in those. My favorite thing about these uniforms is the row of buttons in the font of the coat.
I wanted to have that on my jacket.
Here are two pics of Swedish king Charles XII and his indigo blue and yellow uniform.
Look at that! How awesome is that outfit?! The real uniform, to the right, is displayed at the Royal Armoury in Stockholm, one of my favorite museums. To see the clothes that some historical figure wore 300 years ago is so surreal. You suddenly realise that the person actually existed, they are no longer just another name in a history book. The royal armoury has also had a serious hoarding issue for the past 400 years and have saved everything. And by everything I mean everything – they still have the placenta from when Charles XII, above, was born. So, if you are interested in seeing that I recommend a visit to the museum if you ever find yourself in Stockholm. Both photos are taken from Wikimedia Commons.
I am not going to go through the sewing process step by step, because…. Well, I basically had no idea what I was doing half of the time. I will just show you some parts of the making.
It was probably not the smartest thing in the world to make a jacket without an actual pattern, I just sort of used a 1960’s jacket for reference and drew up my own pattern. I also do not have dress form and have to pin things while wearing it myself. Very frustrating and time consuming!
Details of the jacket without the lining. I did a lot of the sewing by hand, it took me forever but it was worth it.
Since I had no actual pattern (and altered the jacket several times to make it fit) I panicked a bit when it was time to make the lining. I ended up doing something very lazy – I stole the lining from another jacket! My mom’s blue suede jacket to be exact.
I was very lucky and only had to take it in about 3 cm (1 inch). I also had to add an extra piece at the bottom, but everything went well and I was surprised at how easy it was! Phew!
I made sure I pinned the lining seams to the jacket seams and made sure that the lining always laid flat before I attached it. This required a lot of needles.
Here is a pic of the part I had to take in an inch.
And here is the part I added to the bottom at the back. Not the prettiest solution, but it works…
Stay tuned for a tutorial on how to attach buttons! It will be up in a few days!