The chair I bought in October is finally done. It turned out pretty good and it’s actually comfortable to sit in.
This is how it looked when I brought it home. The fabric that was on it was OK, not dirty or anything, but the springs in the seat had loosened and I’m too much of a germaphobe to have anything pre-used in my home that I can’t clean rigorously, the fabric and the filling had to go.
This chair had obviously been re-done by a professional, my unqualified guess is sometime in the 60’s or 70’s based on the look of the fabric.
I knew by the time I was stripping it that I would not be able to recreate anything like it. First off, where exactly do you find the material? And second, I really didn’t want the hassle of using said material. It gets everywhere.
So, I decided to go with things like IKEA fabric, cushion stuffing and a fleece blanket to make my chair… If it breaks down, I will take it to a professional, I promise.
After reading a couple of tutorials online on how to correctly tie spring seating and getting about 11% of what was said, this is how I made mine. I think that rope is supposed to be used on boats. This shit is not coming loose anytime soon.
After that I covered the spring seat with several layers of burlap and thick fabric, and thick fabric filled with stuffing.
For the three final layers I used fleece (OMG, the professionalism) a white cotton fabric and then the outer layer, a green upholster fabric in a neat art nouveau-ish pattern.
What I liked most about this upholster project is that the entire backside is sewn on. It took some time, but It turned out great!
If you ever feel like your home needs more cutesy crap, this is a great way to add that special Hello Kitty-feel to any sofa or bed.
I used a fabric that is probably from the 60’s. It has some structure to it and a nice powder pink shade.
The pillow consist of two rectangles plus one smaller piece for the sash. I cut out two rectangles.
Made the inner cushion with the same measurement as the rectangles. I made sure there was not as much stuffing in the middle of the cushion, I pushed out the filling to the ends.
I sewed together the pillow case and put it on the cushion. To get the bow shape I tied a string in the middle of the pillow. I wanted the bow shape to be quite dramatic, so I tied it tightly.
I made the sash.
It folded it three times, making four layers.
Sewed it on by hand. Not too tightly!
When I was done I turned over the sash to hide the seam.
Well, hello there. It’s been a while. I’m quite busy at the moment. I’m studying again and trying to get by on a minimal income, it’s a challenge, but also kind of interesting.
Anyway, thought I could pop in and show you my entry. I never posted anything on my finished closet!
Basically, I turned half of the room into a closet with track shelving running all the way up to the ceiling. One wall is shelves and then the other has two hanging racks. I’ve never had this much closet space!
Additional storage under the shelves where I also keep my laundry basket.
The closet has curtain doors that I will have to replace. The fabric is from IKEA, and I’m sorry, but IKEA’s fabric is shit. First of all the thread count is like 2 and it feels really rough. Second, it shrinks when you wash it. A LOT. It also loses its color easily. The only good thing is that it is fairly cheap (but when you you think about it, actually too expensive for the quality). The curtains I made for my closet used to be down to the floor.
The rest of the apartment is coming along nicely. I even put up some shelves on the walls last week.
The art deco chair I bought is almost done. The white cotton fabric I’m currently trying to fit around the seat will be a protective layer under the outer fabric.
I bought another Billy bookcase. I would rather have one big sturdy bookcase, though. The Billy’s are a bit too flimsy to hold my heavy art/history/design books. This is about as much I can put in my bookcases without them collapsing :/
During my two months away from the blog I’ve actually made a lot of new stuff for my closet. This is a blouse I’m working on. I based it off of the dress Kirsten Dunst wears in Bachelorette. The fabric is from an old dress.
You guys, this lantern was SO much fun to make! Easy too! I’d say the hardest part was to make holes in the bottom metal plate, but that’s just because my hole puncher sucks. And now it’s ruined because you’re probably not supposed to use it on metal, so be warned. Probably better to drill holes, but who has time for that. Not me.
Anyway, I had all these vintage glass beads that were way too heavy to make into a necklace so I decided to make a lantern of them instead.
Besides the glass beads I also used a aluminium sheet and steel wire. I made sure to use wire that was easy to work with but at the same time could hold up the heavy glass beads. There was be some sharp wire ends to deal with, so a plier was good to have as well.
I decided to make the lantern big enough to hold these glass cups that I later DIY:ed into candles. I cut out a round metal shape with a scissor.
Punched holes around the edge.
Secured my first wire in two holes.
Added glass beads to the wire.
And started weaving.
After the first “layer” was done I didn’t have the bottom plate’s holes to give me directions on where I should add more beads. So, from the second layer I just freestyled everything.
I really like projects where you can do stuff randomly.
No need to follow any directions here.
I really like how it turned out!